This winter NYSSRA Nordic will be sanctioning Nordic ski race events in New York State put on by organizers committed to safe races that follow strict precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We anticipate a limited number of events will be scheduled for the 2020-21 race season, especially given the recent rise in the rate of new infections.
NYSSRA COVID Race Guidelines are posted on this website in the Forms folder and will be updated throughout the season. The guidelines are for organizers, venue hosts, racers, officials, and volunteers on how to run the safest races possible and “how to be a racer” with appropriate protocols. It is important that everyone understand them. Most importantly, NYSSRA Nordic will be following federal, state, regional, and local rules for group sporting events and receiving their updates on new restrictions for whether gatherings can be held safely.
As for your own racing bib, personal contact with standard fabric race bibs presents potential COVID-19 issues for pre-race handling, use while racing, after race collection, and cleaning. Yuck! The solution is to pre-assign Tyvek bibs for racers to re-use throughout the 2020-21 race season. If you are a current renewed 2020-21 member, NYSSRA Nordic will be sending you by postal mail a Tyvek race bib at no cost. Remember to bring it to races and keep it for reuse at other races.
In a few weeks, an email will be sent to all current renewed members asking for a reply that confirms their postal mailing address + provides the names of family members that will also need a bib in the same mailing packet. Bibs will be mailed in December. It is not too late, renew your membership HERE.
Of course, safe in-person racing goes beyond re-useable bibs. Being on the racecourse is easy. The greatest concerns include what people do before and after a race. Here are the basics from the guidelines:
- Registration will be no contact only by SkiReg or other online system. No day of.
- Stay home if not feeling well. You will need to fill out a Pre-race COVID Health Screening Questionnaire and bring it to the race.
- Six feet physical distancing is required at all times.
- A mask or face covering is required by everyone when not on a ski racecourse.
- No indoor facilities will be available. Plan to base out of your personal vehicle for changing and staying warm.
- Port-a-Johns and outhouses will be available. Bring your own hand sanitizer.
- Ski waxing should be done at home. Waxing areas will not be provided where people are in close contact space.
- The norm will be interval or rolling starts. Plan to race, cool down quickly, and go home. Look up your results online later.
Yes, the modifications will be a different experience. Choosing to race or not to race is up to individual racer discretion and we understand any decision you may make.
Darwin Roosa, President
NYSSRA Nordic Executive Board