As current infection rates and cases of COVID and the Delta variant spike, the pandemic drags on. All of us want Nordic ski racing in 2021-22 to be safer and more comfortable than last year from the threat of COVID-19. NYSSRA Nordic is committed to sanctioning and holding safe racing events through proper precautions and updated protocols for our skiing community – racers, families, event organizers, venue hosts, officials, coaches, and volunteers.
Updated 2021-22 NYSSRA COVID Guidelines (for Conducting Nordic Races) are posted under NYSSRA Nordic Forms (under Race/Event Organizer Sanctioning forms). Generally, the guidelines cover:
• Strongly encouraging vaccinations for all eligible ski community members.
• Finding out in advance how many ski community participants at races are vaccinated, or not, to help organizers plan for tighter precautions on race day as needed.
• Ways to minimize personal contact through pre-registration online and race day check-in procedures.
• Requiring racers and other participants to keep away if not feeling well or have any COVID symptoms or are COVID positive.
• Giving organizers the option to conduct pre-race health screening questionnaires.
• Taking precautions that consider the COVID rate status where racers reside and are traveling from.
• If inside facility space is used, venue organizers may set mask wearing rules for everyone when indoors. If no indoor facilities are available, participants should plan to base out of their cars.
• Allowing waxing areas at race venues if participants are masked and in a ventilated area.
• Leaving distance spacing to individual preference.
• Posting of race results in outdoor spaces & award presentations at organizer discretion.
• Any participant who tests positive for COVID or a variant within 48 hours after the conclusion of a race must contact the race organizer to initiate proper protocols by health authorities.
• And more . . . Read the detailed and complete set of Updated 2021-22 NYSSRA COVID Guidelines HERE.
Physical spacing of racers will be addressed in race distance configuration and start formats. Event organizers have the prerogative to implement precautions that are more restrictive and protective based on their needs and information about the status of COVID in their area.
These guidelines are subject to change as conditions warrant.
Darwin Roosa, President NYSSRA Nordic